Criminal Defense Firm
Doctor of laws, professor, retired Senior Councillor of Justice (Prosecution Authority Colonel), Honoured Lawyer of the Republic of Buryatia, director of research centres at the Buryat State University.
Yury Garmaev has 28 years’ experience working for the prosecution authorities, on investigations and in higher education. He is one of the leading Russian specialists in criminalistics and in the fields of crime detection and investigation, and in classification, detection and investigation of corruption and white-collar crime, as well as in criminal defence.
He has authored and co-authored 60 books and over 400 articles.
- Criminal law assessment and investigation of corruption, and white-collar and international financial crimes
- Defence against unlawful criminal charges and
- Preparing legal opinions
Advising advocates and law enforcement officers on criminal cases in which operational-search activity results are used, and on corruption and white-collar crime.
Preparing around 100 written legal opinions and draft documents at the request of law enforcement agencies over the last five years (for which hundreds of positive reviews were received).
Development and implementation of over 50 applied courses for current and future criminal lawyers.
Teaching and research:
Over the past 18 years, Yury Garmaev has conducted over 500 seminars and workshops for practising lawyers, investigators, advocates and prosecutors in 28 major Russian cities and three foreign countries.
He is a member of the Union of Criminalists and Criminologists, the International Union of Assistance to Justice, and the International Criminalists Congress.
Education, academic degrees and titles:
- 1993 Irkutsk State University Legal Faculty;
- 1998 defended doctoral thesis on the Current Problems in the Theory and Practice of Investigation of Customs-related White-Collar Crime, which was based on research into criminal cases by the author himself;
- 2004 Research Institute for Strengthening Law and Order at the Russian Prosecutor General’s Office, defence of a higher doctoral thesis on the Theoretical Grounds for Criminalistics Methodology Used in the Investigation of Crimes;
- 2001 received the title Associate Professor in the Department of Criminal Law and Proceedings; and
- 2013 received the title Professor in the Department of Criminal Proceedings.
- Yury Garmaev is recommended by Best Lawyers 2022 international rating in Criminal Defense in Russia;
- Best Investigator in the Republic of Buryatia (1996) awarded for investigating white-collar crime;
- Special Rank – Junior Councillor of Justice (Major) awarded for the successful investigation of several cases of corruption and international financial crime (1997);
- Republic of Buryatia Lawyer of the Year in the Contributions to Legal Science category (2013); and
- Honoured Lawyer of the Republic of Buryatia (2018).