Alexey Kasatkin gave a talk within the course ‘Inheriting a Business: Organize, Transfer, Accept’ organised by Saint Petersburg Institute of Advocateship
On 26th of August Alexey Kasatkin, Criminal Defense Firm Senior Partner, gave a talk that was included in the course ‘Inheriting a Business: Organize, Hand Down, Accept’.
The speakers addressed the questions of business inheritance and estate planning at four aspects that are important for every lawyer:
- Estate planning as a new legal service;
- Legal instruments of estate planning and succession of business assets;
- Inheriting business as a risk of civil liability;
- Inheriting business and criminal risks.
During his talk on the topic ‘Inheritance: A Blessing or a Risk? Criminal Risks in Inheriting a Business’, Alexey Kasatkin covered the following issues:
- Likely criminal risks for ancestors and heirs (i.e. a person inherited a business and became a business owner. Suddenly a company was raided. The company’s employees, including the new owner, were interrogated, the company’s accounts were frozen, and the obligations to the counterparties were no longer performed. As a result, the company faced multiple claims.);
- Who should beware of what and how long (subjects of criminal risks, periods of limitation for prosecution);
- ‘Risk zones’, who could influence on initiating criminal proceedings in succession;
How to detect, prevent, and reduce criminal risks for ancestors and heirs.